Sunday 17 March 2013

My Time in Tokyo Part Three and Why I Hate Hotel Neo

Right, I prefaced this blog with the statement that I’d try to prevent it from turning into a collection of rants and although I feel I’ve only kept to that somewhat I’m going to completely abandon all discourse and just go for it with this post.

To cut sharply to the chase, we we’re sent down to Tokyo for a conference on volunteering overseas as well as to meet with our in-country representative (essentially our supreme baby sitter while we are abroad). The purpose of this is to mark the half way point of our time in Japan and make sure none of us are on the verge of having some sort breakdown. All was lovely and joyous until after the conference. Myself and James, using our unparalleled negotiating skills (we basically just asked), managed to secure an extra few days in Tokyo for catching up with the other volunteers and other such merriments. Afterwards however we would have to find new accommodation. Due to our infinitely impressive short sightedness and our infinitely tight budget (well…my infinitely tight budget rather) we decided to stay in Hotel Neo, the cheapest accommodation we could find. I had previously prided myself on my viewpoint of “as long as it’s dry and has a shower, I don’t care about the accommodation”.  This was my line of thinking at the time, please note the key words in that sentence; “AT-THE-TIME”.

James' Cell in Hotel Neo

We disembarked from our train in the district of Minami-Senju where the hotel was located.  Immediately we noticed that the area was different from most of the places we had been in Tokyo so far. It was smaller, more quaint and frankly a bit dirty. It had a grim, dusty train yard feel about it but we pressed onwards knowing that our bargain of a Hotel would make it worth while…how wrong we were. The first warning bells began ringing in my head when we bought our tickets to stay there from a vending machine located at the reception area. I found it strange but told myself to think nothing of it. Vending machines are popular in Japan and they use them for all sorts of weird and not so wonderful things (more on that later). We handed the man behind the glass our tickets and proceeded to our rooms.  Upon opening the door to my room I was greeted by what could only be described as a prison cell. It was a room approximately one third the size of a matchbox (in reality about the size of your average bathroom), that was furnished with nothing other than a bed a small table and a T.V. It had a small window and blank white walls rising up to a blank white ceiling. As the steel door clunked shut behind me I found myself struck for words. My thoughts began to drift to our friends staying together in the Tokyo volunteers apartment and how warm and friendly and how casual their stay would be. I envisioned them sitting around laughing, joking and catching up while I dropped onto the side of the bed and starred blankly at the dull white wall. With these unpleasant thoughts swirling around in my head I decided to investigate the facilities of the hotel or rather lack thereof. Wondering how I was going to bathe in the morning I meandered my way down to the second floor where the bathing facilities were located. I’ve stayed in youth hostels with shared bathrooms before and largely its completely fine but this time I happened upon one single, gritty, pay as you go, coin operated shower that served the hotel. As I starred at it, my jaw slightly ajar a man who genuinely looked homeless shuffled passed me to use some of the coin operated washing machines located next to the shower…and I stress THE shower…singular…one…for everyone. Upon returning to our rooms I encountered James chuckling at the depressing absurdity  of the situation. I managed to force a smile but was feeling quite miserable.

Hotel Neo rocking the Dull White and Sea foam Green cobination.

 Now although I am sure there are volunteers in Africa who have to stay in mud huts and glorified card board boxes for accommodation while travelling but for me it wasn’t the terrible quality of the hotel that got to me, it was the sense of separation and isolation. The sense that every night me and James would have the leave the other volunteers and trek halfway across Tokyo to our dingy white cells in dusty Minami-Senju while they would still be out having fun. Perhaps it’s an illogical hatred or perhaps I’m just pinning the unpleasantness of the situation on an easy target either way both me and James ended up reviling the hotel so much that we decided to spend our last two nights in Tokyo in a capsule hotel despite this being of considerable extra expense to the both of us. This however, was a fantastic decision and it considerably altered both our moods for the better. So in summation, while cheap accommodation can be tolerable never underestimate the values of convenience, cleanliness and atmosphere because otherwise you could very easily end up staying in what essentially feels like a prison and believe me when I say Hotel Neo certainly was one.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Brendan,
    Hello!
    My name is Elia, I am a year 12 sixth form student, and I have recently been accepted to go on the Project Trust selection week.
    Of all the counties available, my absolute dream would be to go on the Japan placement! (I would love to spend a year there as you did.)
    So having just booked the selection week for this summer, I decide to search Google for previous Project Trust Japan Volunteers in the hope that I could find someone who could give me information, tips and advice. And I found you!
    Would you mind telling me anything you think would be important or useful for me to know. Such as:
    How you got into Japan, based on your selection week?
    What are they looking for, specifically in the Japan volunteers (e.g. why you got chosen)?
    How the pooling system works?
    Any other advice/tips to help me do the best I can?
    etc.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read my message.
    Really like your blog by the way!
    Kind regards,
    Elia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elia!

    Sorry about the late reply, I just happened to be reminiscing whilst reading my blog when I saw your message there.

    The best advice I can offer is to just go for it regardless of what happens. A lot of the volunteers who go insist on Japan and Japan only come across as single minded. There are only a few projects there compared to the dozens in places like India or China so its quite competitive to get in to and will require charming the Project Trust officers and a lot of luck. That being said though, it is possible to get a place there. On selection they'll be looking for things that can show you're capable of living by yourself, can work hard and are actually interested in Japan. So to prepare yourself do some research and make sure you really do want to go to Japan, do some soul searching and make sure you'll be capable of saying goodbye to pretty much everyone and everything you know from home and make sure to show off your mature work ethic and enthusiasm for the job. Do all that and you stand a strong chance of being selected. Some people are selected immediately for Japan whilst others get their second choice initially but are then given their first later on. Try to go in with several countries you'd like to visit but definitely shoot for what you really want. Its a pretty intense experience and you will be thrown in the deep end but its without a doubt one of the best things I ever did and would recommend it to absolutely everyone.

    Good luck!
    Brendan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brendan!
      Thank you so so much for your kind words of advice! I got back from selection about two weeks ago now. It was absolutely brilliant; I had so much fun, learnt lots and made many friends. I received my letter of acceptance two days ago and have been given Thailand for first, and have been pooled for Japan as second (which I'll just have to wait and see about!).
      I would be over the moon if I got chosen for Japan later on, but if not, I would also love to got to Thailand.
      Now I must embark on the daunting epic task of raising £6200, which I think I will begin by writing to charitable trusts. If you could give me any guidance or advice with that it would be amazing! Could you tell me Trusts that you would recommend writing to (ones that helped you)? They said on selection that returned volunteers are the best people to ask in terms of which Charitable Trusts.
      Anyway, thanks again for you response and encouragement. And I excitedly await whatever the future holds for me wherever I may end up.

      Elia

      Delete
  3. Hi Elia!
    That's amazing, well done! You have the right attitude, don't be disheartened at all, Japan is an amazing country but I know from speaking to other returned volunteers that the projects in Thailand are also incredible so absolutely go for it regardless of where you end up going.
    The fundraising is quite difficult but again it's doable. I would definitely advise to get cracking on it as quick as possible. Not only because it takes the pressure off you towards the end when you're dealing with end of school exams and college applications etc. but also because an early start will gain you brownie points with the desk officers and that'll be handy if your struggling to meet the deadline towards the end. Apparently charitable trusts are a good route to take but they don't have much of a presence where I'm from in Ireland. I raised all of my money through five supermarket bag packs and would absolutely recommend them. Book them as early as you can and hassle as many friends and relatives as you can to help you. Invest in some project trust t-shirts and buckets and with a bit of clever scheduling you should be cracking open a cash piñata. From one four day bag pack I raised 2 500 euro which was half of what I had to raise. I know it's daunting but keep at it and you'll raise it all bit by bit. If there's anything else you need to know or if I can be of any help don't hesitate to to leave a comment.
    You've taken the first step of a long but amazing journey and if you keep at it before long you'll be choking back your bitter jealousy as you pass on sage wisdom to the next group of volunteers. :P
    The best of luck!
    Brendan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brendan,

      I just recently heard back from Doug Young (Japan desk officer - for you as well?), and am utterly delighted to hear - I'm going to Ittoen/Kyoto!
      I am now sooo excited and enthused.
      Following our exchange of messages last year - thank you so much for your help and advice!
      With this new information in mind, I'd love to hear all the more about your Japan experience with Project Trust.

      Being a Type 1 diabetic I am aware that it will be a huge challenge to embark on living a year abroad (though I am totally up for the challenge!). But for this reason I feel I would like to be very well prepared and knowledgeable about where I'm going, what I'll be doing, and how I can be best prepared to make the most out of my year (with as few medical struggles as possible).
      Of course I don't need all the info now (still got some months left) but these are some of the things that would be wonderful if you could tell me a little more about:

      - Was there a hospital, doctors, pharmacy nearby? And were you registered with any sort of local medical service/contact/port-of-call? Just wondering how accessible medical help would be should it come to an emergency (though unlikely - good to consider).

      - Did you have a fridge? Though it's possible different in Ittoen (its very important that I store my insulin in a fridge)

      - Was there WiFi or any access to Internet? And did you get a Japanese phone/sim card (that you paird for)? - It would be very helpful if I could contact my Diabetes Medical team back home by email or phone for advice/help should I need it.

      - What was the food like? Being diabetic I need to count the amount of carbohydrate I eat and adjust insulin accordingly, which is simple, but more importantly, I am Vegetarian and so am wondering how easy you think it would be? Do they generally cater for vegetarianism ok in places? If not is there a lot of meat or would it be easy to just avoid the meaty food?

      - What was the weather/climate like? Would I need to bring lots of warm clothes/ thick coats? (my blood glucose levels are a bit more erratic/harder to control, in extreme temperatures, hence why I asked specifically not for colder Hokkaido - however I would love to climb mount Fuji so would I need to pack "expedition gear"?)

      - And finally, more general tips/advice (not diabetes/vegetarian related), how was it learning the Japanese language? Any things you would recommend I do while there? Any particular things I should bring that would be useful or wish you had had while there? etc.

      (I realise that many things will be different between Hokkaido and Ittoen placements, but just to get a general gist of things it'd be great. Unless you could give me a contact for your year's Ittoen pair for more relevant info!)

      Sorry for so many questions... Only just realised how interrogating it all is after writing it!
      If you could just give me any info you can that would be so so great. Any help or advice would be really appreciated!
      Thank you so much.
      I'm a bit daunted by it all with Diabetes but that is not going to get in my way!

      Hope you are well, best wishes,
      Elia DeMatteis

      P.S. I'm a little struggling with fundraising as my school is so unhelpful, my local supermarkets won't allow bag packing, my parents are too busy to help, and out of my 60 charitable trusts 2 gave money (plus loads of other problems/annoyances).
      Could you perhaps tell me any of the Trusts that gave you money? Any other help/advice...

      (in case you would rather, my email address is "my first name, at, my surname no space, dot com" - sorry, written like that to evade search results!)

      Delete
  4. Hi Brendan,
    Thanks for your message - bag packing sounds good! So how did you go about planning/organising that?
    And in terms of making a leaflet - any advice? Did you make yours for the first country, then have to change it when you were given Japan?
    If it's not too much to ask, could I perhaps see your leaflet/poster for inspiration?
    Thanks,
    Elia

    ReplyDelete