Monday 15 October 2012

A Brief Note on Onsens.

So basically in this post I'm going to describe to you the miracle of Onsens. At it's core an Onsen is a public bath. Hot water is pumped into a shallow indoor or outdoor pool that is surrounded with pretty rock formations. Technically speaking it has to be heated by geothermal activity in the ground to be truly considered an Onsen otherwise it's known as a Sento. For me this isn't really important but apparently Onsens have medical advantages and are just better. This is probably obvious to the connoisseur, but to a smelly westerner like me, the difference isn't noticeable. 

An Onsen not too different to one I visited. The wooden pipes let water fall into the pool and if you stand below one it gives your back and neck a wonderful massage.



When one visits an Onsen they head into a changing room and completely strip off. Onsens have strict no clothes policies so if you're shy about revealing yourself you may want to brace yourself for a few awkward moments. Virtually all Onsens are single sex so there really isn't any point in worrying what anyone else thinks. I didn't know this until about two minutes before my first trip to one but fortunately I have very few qualms about nudity so it was something I found quite easy. You then walk through a glass doorway into a hall not unlike that of a swimming pool. The main differences are that it's humid (but definitely bearable), the pools are shallow and much smaller, the water is HOT and they usually have a generally classy feeling with rock floors and marble walls. There may be several different pools with different temperatures as well as an outdoor pool. There will be raised steps to sit on at the edge of the pool and if it's a classy place they will have really nice rock formations on which to sit. In addition, many will have sauna and a cold water bath. 

Due to the sheer abundance of gonads, it's difficult to find a suitable picture for the blog. (I Googled these images. There was no way in holy hell I was bringing my camera in with me)

However, before you can enjoy the delights of an Onsen, you must clean yourself, as the name "public bath" might suggest. Many swimming pools in Ireland have this rule as well, but usually it consists of walking through a tiny, ankle deep pool before you get in. To make matters even more disgusting many of the pools look like they were built in the 1960s and by all odds are dirtier than the people in them. As well as this they are riddled with chlorine but this is a necessary measure to protect the people from their own filth. Fortunately, this is not the case in Onsens. When you walk in there will be a row of shower heads, mirrors, buckets and stools on which to sit next to the wall. Shampoo, conditioner and body soap are usually provided and you give yourself a comprehensive cleaning. Unlike most showers which take place in the midst of a hectic morning schedule, you really do have time to sit down, relax and do some thorough sand blasting. I don't know about most people but I don't usually shampoo in between my toes when I shower but in an Onsen you clean yourself head to toe thoroughly so you achieve a sense of cleanliness that feels great. 

Where you would clean yourself in an Onsen.

After this you gingerly get into a pool and melt. Initially the water may feel too hot but if you bear a few initial seconds of pain you completely relax and all your troubles dissolve into the scented water. The one downside is that sometimes if the water is too hot or you get in too quick you become dizzy but this can be easily remedied by only having below your knees in or better yet, going to one of the outdoor pools. There are usually some vending machines selling beer and it's not uncommon to see a group of people relaxing with a cold drink whilst in the Onsen. 

Although exposure is perfectly acceptable in an Onsen I will not have it on my blog...so I'm going to borrow my friends face for this photo.

Personally I absolutely love Onsens. They are a fantastic way to relax and you come out feel unimaginably clean and refreshed. Some people may feel put off by the nudity but in my opinion this attitude is silly. The human body is a completely natural and beautiful thing and certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Spending time being nude and around other peoples nudity is something that I think is healthy and if you're one of those people that think every second person on the street is  paedophile or rapist then I'm sorry, your a paranoid idiot. Any experience I've had in an Onsen has been great. Myself and my project trust partner live a 5 minute walk from one so we are regular attendees ourselves and intend to go many, many more times. If you ever find yourself in Japan they something you must try.


1 comment: