Thursday 11 October 2012

4 Days in Tokyo (Part 2) and Departure...again.

For the remaining two days in Tokyo we chatted with Yuki about our projects and prepared to depart...again. Yuki warned me that there would not be many people around my age in the area and seemed somewhat relieved to find out that I get along well with my partner, James. We also met up with an ex-volunteer who now lives in Tokyo called Alex. He was incredibly cool and took us out to a restaurant called Gonpachi. I wont bore you with the details of the food, suffice it to say; it was incredible. If you ever come to Japan eat Wagyu steak (and don't forget to bring a spare pair of underwear....it's that good). Also, don't listen to what anyone says, eel sushi is also amazing. The restaurant itself was awesome. Alex told us that Quintin Tarintino is big into Japanese culture and, when around, often frequented the bars and restaurants in the area. Which made sense as there was something so...authentic about the place. The first thing I said when I walked in was that I half expected Indiana Jones to crash through one of the walls fighting off several ninjas. As well as this whenever anyone entered the nearest waiter would shout "Irrashaimasen" (welcome in Japanese) and all the other waiters would echo it...very cool. Alex himself was an awesome guy. It was nice to speak to someone who had the knowledge and experience of a local with the mannerisms and accessibility of a westerner. His knowledge and encouragement was reassuring and it was really interesting to speak to a guy whose life had been profoundly affected by his time with Project Trust (He lives and works in Tokyo with his Japanese wife).

Gonpachi......fucking....awesome.

On our last day we did some final sightseeing which included going up Tokyo tower which is a whole 8 meters taller than the Eiffel tower...so fuck you Paris. Also somehow, we got roped into going to Karaoke which I hate with a burning passion. I love singing and having a laugh but there is just something about karaoke that gets under my skin. Perhaps it's because when people know I hate karaoke it makes them all the more determined to try and get me up.Either way we went to a Karaoke club and I curled into the foetal position for about 45 minutes.

Me displaying my mental fortitude.


 The day after we packed up, said our goodbyes and headed to our Projects. It was strange because leaving Tokyo was much harder than leaving Dublin. I had now become accustomed to airports and with that stress/distraction removed , it felt like I was leaving a holiday to go and do work. Work that I was beginning to get stressed about. Nevertheless though I was excited and buzzing with anticipation.

Up yours Paris. 



As we left Haneda airport in Tokyo the sudden reality of the situation hit me...again. Also me and James we're due to gives speeches at a welcoming party on arrival so that too kept us occupied. So now our brief induction period was over and our gap year was about to begin...for real, this time.

Me and James about to leave Tokyo. 


No comments:

Post a Comment